
Today I was working one of my usual Pre-k classes. About halfway through the day, the tornado sirens went off. At first I thought it was just a drill. After realizing it was the real thing, the teacher's aide and I rushed the kids into the coat closet. We tried to stay calm, so we wouldn't upset the kids. All I could think was, this is going to be chaos. I pictured eighteen 4yr olds shoved in a tiny space and thought of all the crying, screaming, pushing and "accidents" we would have on our hands.
But those kids were amazing! They quickly and quietly went into the closet. Then, they sat down with their backs to the wall, just like they were told. For about 45 minutes they sat quietly, listening to every instruction given. I am so proud of them!
It was such a little thing that happened today, but it made me feel sort of guilty that I had expected the worst out of them. All you hear about is how kids are rude, disrespecful and lack self control. I think we forget about how great they are, too. I just wanted to write something positive about them. I feel better now.
3 comments:
I had a dream last night that a twister hit our house and flipped it upside down. It was really scary... all I could think after was "hey, maybe I can buy some new furniture."
This story is so old now! Blog something new.
I am going to put some new stuff on here soon. Settle down.
Post a Comment